CHAMP provides quick response to the following maintenance issues:
- Bridge/roadway damage
- Down signs
- Missing roadway markings
- Traffic signal malfunction
- Commercial vehicle crashes and spills
- Blocked drainage
- Debris removal (including abandoned or disabled vehicles)
CHAMPs assist motorists, when feasible, and if they are not dispatched to a major highway and the motorist is safely off the road. incident enhances roadway safety by providing motorist assistance and temporary traffic control, which helps to reduce secondary incidents and increases responder safety.
CHAMP serves as an on-scene incident responders, providing roadway clearance and traffic control and traveler information.
- Detect, verify reports and provide all necessary assistance with traffic incidents to ensure safe and quick clearance on interstates outside of HERO territory and on non-interstate state routes within 10 miles on either side of interstates when requested.
- Provide assistance to motorist needing help on interstates, when feasible
- Assist the Department of Public Safety and other law enforcement agencies as needed in a support role (interstate and non-interstate state routes within within 10 miles).
- Safely and expeditiously remove debris and minor non-hazardous spills from highways
- Assist with removing and/or tagging abandoned vehicles or other incidents
- Maintain and /or improve safe and efficient traffic flow
- Identify, verify and report maintenance issues and/or property damage to infrastructure