Management & Design
The Safety Management Section (SMS) has the following major responsibility areas:
- Develop, maintain and manage the State's motor vehicle accidents by location systems and historically related files.
- Develop and analyze accident data, reports, studies and rankings by location. Develop related programs and files.
- Manage Georgia's Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP).
- Manage the Oversized Truck Routes System (STAA Access Routes to National Network).
- Review preconstruction projects for concept through final design for safety and operational problems.
- Review locations for safety or operational problems and prepare concept reports for improvements.
Safety Action Plan (SAP)
The Safety Design Section is responsible for the following:
- Design and review of all traffic signal locations.
- All sign and marking plans for interstates, primary and secondary roads systems.
- Oversee any ATMS project that will connect or is expected to connect to the Traffic Management Center (TMC).
- Responsible for all intersection improvement projects that are designed in the General Office or the Districts.
- Responsible for all special designed impact attenuators.
Below is the link to the download utility for all of Georgia DOT's details. Traffic Safety and Design details are currently not accessible from this utility: GDOT Construction Standards & Details
Below is a listing of the Design Guidelines availble from the Office of Traffic Safety & Design. These are available for download in Adobe Acrobat format.