With the increasing population growth in Cobb County over the last few decades, Johnson Ferry Road and Abernathy Road in Fulton County have become major transportation corridors for vehicles traveling from Cobb County into Fulton County, especially to gain access to SR 400 and I-285. Recognizing that this corridor lacked sufficient capacity, in 1987 the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) developed concepts for improving Johnson Ferry Road and Abernathy Road. The approved concepts were as follows:
Johnson Ferry Road from the Chattahoochee River to Abernathy Road (approximately 1.0 mile). The existing four lanes would be widened to six lanes with a 20' raised median and curb and gutter. Some horizontal and vertical alignment changes would be required. Widening would be primarily on the east side.
News & Activities Archive
|December 2012 - February 2013 Schedule|
- Remaining final layer of asphalt topping will be placed from Breakwater ridge to the Cobb County project line.
- All remaining drainage structures will be completed.
- Landscaping items will be installed in the area adjacent to the Fulton County Art Center.
- Granite wall between Riverside Dr. and North Harbor Dr. is scheduled for completion.
- Final dressing, permanent grassing, and general project house keeping will take place through out the project.
- Final stripping, signage, and the final phase of all traffic signals are scheduled for completion.
- Project is currently 73% complete.
- Clearing and mass grading is 98% complete.
- Construction of the new Bridge # 1 over the Chattahoochee River is complete.
- Demo and reconstruction of the existing bridge # 2 is 60% complete and scheduled for completion by December 2012.
- Project is currently 2% ahead of schedule to meet a January 31, 2013 completion.
|7/25/12: 3rd Quarter of 2012 Schedule|
- Roadway widening on Abernathy East of Roswell Road will continue with the placement of base materials and asphalt.
- Construction of subgrade, placement of base materials, curb and gutter, sidewalk, and asphalt paving will take place on the widened portions of Roswell Road North and South of Abernathy Road.
- Reconstruction of the Roswell Road/Abernathy intersection including placement of a new traffic signal will begin in the 3rd QTR.
- Bridge # 2 (existing bridge) demo will continue with the replacement of the deck surface, and construction of the Texas style railing.
- The Breakwater wall and fencing along with final dressing is scheduled for completion in 3rd qtr of 2012.
- Woodcliff Brick wall next to Redding Drive is complete and road widening adjacent to this area is scheduled to begin in the 3rd QTR.
- Final dressing and permanent grassing will take place through out the project.
- Retaining wall adjacent to North Harbor is scheduled to begin in the 3rd QTR.
- The lowering of Brandon Mill is scheduled to start on July 16th with a completion date of September 16th. This will include the closing of Brandon Mill Road from Abernathy to and including the entrance of River Springs Dr. Detour signs will be posted directing traffic.
- AGL is scheduled to be completed with installation of their new facilities at the Columns Drive intersection in the 3rd QTR.
|1/6/12: 4th Quarter of 2011 Schedule|
- Stage two construction will began in October; this will include the widening portions of Johnson Ferry Road from Columns Drive up station to River valley Road.
- Traffic will be shifted to the new Bridge #1 in October; this shift will switch traffic onto the new alignment from Columns Drive up station to Riverside Drive.
- The ‘Texas’ style Bridge Parapet is scheduled to be completed by the end of October.
- Bridge #2 (existing bridge) reconstruction will begin in November with a current completion date of November 2012.
- The Breakwater wall and fence is scheduled for completion in 1st qtr of 2012.
- Construction will begin on the Woodcliff Brick wall #4 next to Redding Drive.
- Base and Binder asphalt lifts will be placed on the widen portion of Abernathy Road.
- The Johnson Ferry South portion of the project will be completed by January 2012.
- Curbing, sidewalk, and driveways will be completed on River Valley and Bridgewood Valley roads.
- All construction related to Brandon Mill Road will be completed in the 4th Qtr.
|10/1/11: Lane Closure Schedule|
- Night paving will begin Tuesday October 18th and will last approximately two weeks through November 1st.
- Lane closures will be nightly from the hours of 7:00PM-6:00AM Sunday – Thursday. Weekend lane closures will start on Fridays @ 7:00PM and last through Monday mornings at 6:00AM.
- Traffic will be reduced from the existing four lanes down to three and sometimes two lanes at various locations through out the project.
- Traffic switch will take place the weekend October 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. Switch will start just North of Columns Drive and continue South between Riverside Drive and North Harbor Drive.
- Switch will require reducing Johnson Ferry down to one lane in each direction from Paper Mill Road to North Harbor Drive.
- Dual Lane closures will start on Friday October 21st at 7:00PM and end on Sunday October 23rd at 6:00PM.
- Traffic will be placed onto the newly constructed bridge over the Chattahoochee River so that phase two may begin on the reconstruction of the existing bridge.
|12/8/10: Johnson Ferry Project Status|
- C.W. Matthews will cease construction activities from 12/17/10 to 1/3/11
- The City of Sandy Springs will be doing maintenance/mowing of the Right-of-Way along the corridor in this time period.
- The traffic switch-over will occur in Spring 2011
- The Wright Road signal will be installed in Spring 2011
|10/12/10: Johnson Ferry Project Status|
- Project is currently 18% complete.
- Storm water drainage system is 60% complete.
- Curb & gutter is complete for stage one.
- Stage one paving from Riverside Dr. to Wright Road including River Valley, Johnson ferry South, and Brandon Mill is scheduled to be completed by mid November of 2010. Traffic will be shifted onto new roadway one week after completion and this will include the realignment of the Johnson Ferry/Abernathy intersection.
- Bridge Construction has commenced with 75% of the substructure complete.
- Sidewalk construction has commenced for stage one construction on Johnson Ferry and Abernathy.
|11/19/09: Utility companies are currently making progress on utility relocations throughout the project.|
Nighttime construction work began Monday, November 16, 2009. Contractors from CW Matthews are excavating dirt from the north side of Abernathy Road between Brandon Mill and Wright Road and moving it to the south side of Abernathy to facilitate the future grade change of the new roadway. Dirt is also being moved from River Valley to Abernathy and Riverside Drive. Much of the work must be done at night due to the heavy traffic volumes in the corridor during the day. The Department recognizes the noise impacts related to nighttime work and makes a concerted effort to mitigate these impacts. This particular nighttime work will only continue through Tuesday, November 24.
|8/10/09: Johnson Ferry Road Lane Closures|
The contractor, according to the special provision for Traffic Control in his contract, shall not install lane closures or move equipment or materials on the travel way that interferes with traffic flow between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Otherwise the contractor can close lanes as necessary to complete the work. The LED signs showing “Expect Delays” is warning to the travelling public that delays are expected in the work area. The contractor cannot complete the work in a timely manner with only night lane closures.