This Tier I EIS will investigate and assess transportation, environmental and planning issues for potential HSGT service developed for the study.
The potential corridor alternatives will include, a variety of routes, station locations, operating plans and potential for phased implementation. The study will also estimate ridership, capital and operating costs, revenue projections and economic impacts.
The purpose of the Atlanta – Chattanooga HSGT Project is to enhance intercity passenger mobility and economic growth between the metropolitan areas and airports of Atlanta, Georgia and Chattanooga, Tennessee by providing new, high-speed ground transportation passenger service. The Project is also intended to provide faster and more reliable intercity travel in the corridor by providing an alternative to highway, intercity bus, and air travel in a manner that is safe, reliable, and cost-effective, while avoiding, minimizing, and mitigating impacts on the human and natural environment.
- Enhance regional transportation mobility and accessibility
- Spur economic growth and regional vitality
- Provide safe, efficient, reliable transportation
- Enhance airport access and intermodal connections
- Improve air quality nonattainment areas and minimize environmental impacts